MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

The Sitting Room

New consumer unit woes

A place to chill out and talk about anything or just say hello, keep it clean and light hearted

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Our home that we moved into last year had a fuse box that would make the one on the Ark look modern. So yesterday we had a sparky round to fit an uo to date consumer unit. Ok ok fuse box to us old peeps.
The guy is pulling his hair out as he is trying to chase one switch that trips as soon as its in use. Its quite funny as he is really having a tantrum with him self pfffffffffft
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Borg Warner » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 pm

baconbuttyman wrote:Our home that we moved into last year had a fuse box that would make the one on the Ark look modern. So yesterday we had a sparky round to fit an uo to date consumer unit. Ok ok fuse box to us old peeps.
The guy is pulling his hair out as he is trying to chase one switch that trips as soon as its in use. Its quite funny as he is really having a tantrum with him self pfffffffffft

This is the second tale of incompetence I've heard when people have had a CU upgrade.

Before taking the old one off he should have tested every circuit. This means every light bulb(s) removed from lights so he can check the switch wire and every appliance unplugged. Once certain there are no faults he can then remove the old board and install the new, safe in the knowledge that it will not trip out. My sister had her's changed earlier this year and the same happened with the "electrician" chasing a fault. He was there all day and I mean all day till around 07:00pm. He still couldn't find the problem so had to come back next day and his gaffa sat at the bottom of the stairs and talked him through it. And these people are "qualified electricians". My backside they are.

Even by doing it as you describe Mick it is 1st year apprentice stuff. Turn every CB off, turn the main switch on, then one-by-one turn the CBs back on. When one trips the RCD then that's the problem. The principle is exactly the same for when our guys are chasing a discrimination problem on the distribution network. Fundamental, it really is.

I need to change mine sometime as I'm not Part P registered I'm not allowed to.

Guess what.

Out of interest Mick what did he charge you?

Gary M.
MG Stands for its self and not Morris Garages. As CK said "...there was already one Morris Garages, how could there be two?"
Borg Warner

Return to The Sitting Room