MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to change a auto gear knob

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:13 pm

In my V6 there was a standard leather auto shift stick, so i wanted something a little classier than that, i bought a BMW half wood half leather stick, the issue with that is the plastic rod is too short on the BMW one, so you have to swap the inner rods over.
This does involve removing the shift button, but this how to will show you the way to do this.

so below is the two before the transplant, you will see the difference in length,

WP_20160618_11_10_24_Pro.jpg

To remove the standard stick from the car, you have to brace your self, get some one to hold a towel against the inside of your wind screen, fold to towel so its padded, i just taped one to the screen, the reason for this is, as with the manual knob, they can be a bugger to remove and when the come off, they can do so with some force, the towel will prevent the knob flying up and cracking the screen.
Mine came off quite easily so towel wasn't necessary.

so when the knob is removed, place a flat blade like a butter knife at the side of the button, the leather ones do require a little more force, edge it out from all sides.
WP_20160618_11_11_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20160618_11_11_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20160618_11_12_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20160618_11_12_19_Pro.jpg

So now the button is out, do the same to the other one, take a look at the next picture, you will see a rod on the inside of the button, this goes through a hole in the inner rod that needs swapping, this easily lines up with each other.

WP_20160618_11_17_09_Pro.jpg

place the long rod in the new knob, do not use the wrong button, place the button in the gap and push it in , it should go in easily, then push it back into the shift stick in the car, test it so it moves up and down etc, place the other rod in the old knob, and put away incase you ever want to change it back.

WP_20160618_11_19_29_Pro.jpg

here is the finished article

WP_20160618_11_18_12_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:49 pm

So to sum up-------------

-----------Grasp knob firmly with both hands and give a violent upward tug.------- :-o :-o :-o
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 pm

COLVERT wrote:So to sum up-------------

-----------Grasp knob firmly with both hands and give a violent upward tug.------- :-o :-o :-o

thats the jist of it (mgrclub) (mgrclub) (mgrclub) (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to How To's