MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:27 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to refurb your own alloys

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:55 pm

I got a set of Meteors from Vindaloo, they were in a right old state, pitted, bubbling, curbed, Well knackered.

So i have put this "how too refurbish" together as a special request from "mamasboy".

Obviously if you have unions or other types of wheels, then there are more crooks n cranny's so may take longer.

One thing i will recommend is to get hold of an electric mouse sander, sanding plates in two grades, coarse (to remove bubbling etc) the other is a fine plate to smooth out the wheels.. Filler to fill any deeper marks, (i didnt actually have to use any as i built the paint up in several coats and it worked out well). you will also need a brush to get the dust off.

Also please get your self a dust mask, and ensure your garage (or living room) is well ventilated, But i dont recommend using your living room lol

Ok place the first wheel on your work bench, i found my black & Decker work mate was spot on to work with.
Get to work with the mouse sander and the coarse plate to get rid of all the, while the sander make light work, it will still take a while if you wish to do it properly.

Let the sander do the work, no need to press on too much, when you ahe gotten into all the crevises and corners and you are happy that its smooth enough (remember to check for unlevel paint).

The get to work on the next wheel, took me about 4-5 hours to get the wheels done at this stage, they should look like this

ok time to paint???....wrong
Swap the course plate on the sander for the fine one, while you think your wheels are smooth, they are not smooth enough

so sand all the wheels again , the reason i didnt do each wheel at once coarse then smooth, as i didnt want to keep changing plates and i may have been temped to leave the swapping, the way i did it was more methodical forme, but you can do it any way you want.
The fine paper actually polishes the finish some what

again the more time you take the better your results

once all wheels have been done, you now have a choice to wire brush the rears of the wheels, i used a drill and brush for this.

when you are happy with them, brush all the dust of, great on a windy day as its all blown away when you do brush off

Time to paint?....... not yet

Time to mask the wheels, (unless you have taken the tyres off) There are two ways you can do this, one i tried and worked well but i preferred the traditional method.

1. using news paper and masking take, takes a while but worth it.

2. Club member Wuzerk gets the credit for this one
Quote "BACONBUTTYMAN, There is no need to mask the wheels, I have painted many with the tyres on by painting the sidewalls carefully with neat washing up liquid. After painting you just need a bristle brush to wash the sidewalls and they come up like new."
Wuzerk

The way i will describe is option one.

in strips of about 6 inches, place the masking tape along the rim of the wheel over the tyre, with about 2-3 mm of the tape over lapping the alloy rim, dont stick down too much yet, do about 4 strips then get a screwdriver or pen and run it on the outer rim of the alloy, this will fold the lip down between the tyre and alloy rim
Also thank to CMWI for reminding me, i let the tyres down to make masking easier, gives some leeway when getting the tape in to the recess

do the whole wheel like this.

Then get your news paper and fold each page in 2, start matchin the paper up to the tape on the wheel and do this all the way round.

Now to stop the paper flapping about, plate some masking tape around the tyre, also don't forget the inflator valve

Now time to paint..... yeah
There are different color's of under coat, I used grey.

Undercoat is quite easy to do. The secret is many light coats, dry between each coat, After each coat i used a hair dryer to dry it.

appliy the paint from about 7" in a smooth cross ways motion, imagine a cross going through the wheel and do each coat from each point of the cross, this will give the wheel an even finish.

when you have applied about 4 coats it should look like this

When all wheel are done, go have a brew, my recommendations is let the piant dry, i left it till the next day

ok, now it's time to Paint with the Sparkle Silver.

Same painting method as the under coat, i used one tin of undercoat, but i used two tins of paint.

Before you actually paint you can use a very very fine sand paper to get rid of any baint blobs you may have, but if you take your time with the light coats you will find you wont have any blobs

Ok, this paint Dries in 20 mins, i left it about two hours though, again check for blobs, but if you used the light coat method you shouldnt have any blobs.
dont forget to dry each coat with the hair dryer.

Ok, now time for laquer, i used two tines, the more you use, the shinier your wheels, again light coats, but this takes longer to dry so BE PATIENT.

Same method, light coat, dry, light coat etc, concentrate on two wheels, use the full tin, took about 90 mins to do the 4.

let the final coat of lacquer dry before removing the masking.

when you do, your result should be this

Stand back and smile.

hope this how to helps you guys and gives you the confidence to have a go your self

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither the MGR Owners club nor the original authors in this thread can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this thread's posts.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Poppy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 pm

This is just what I am looking for..... (BOW) (BOW) (clap) (cool)
Poppy

Unread postby slacko » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Here's one I did earlier, it's not too difficult but I had tyre taken off first as I wanted to make sure the bead area was smooth. If you have a bit of spare time have a go, you can get a colour match at any spray centre to do the job properly. If you want a bright silver, Audi silvers are best, but its your choice. Don't forget the paint will still be soft for about 2 weeks. [standard smileys/smiley-signs017

Even my dog is a Rover Rover 45 Connoisseur -Royal Blue 03
slacko

Unread postby luke83g » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 am

Hey - great guide many thanks.

Doe anyone know the shade of silver that MG Rover used on the Serpent wheels for a Rover 45? Want to try and get a good match, Many thanks Luke
luke83g
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Think it was jbh
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby david patterson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:53 pm

ImageA little trick to save time is to use big playing cards instead of masking tape
david patterson
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby luke83g » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Haha think I'll stick to masking tape mate, don't want to ruin my deck of cards!
luke83g
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby david patterson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:57 pm

I got two packs of theses giant playing cards for a pound from a pound shop. Probably cheaper, quicker and faster than masking tape
david patterson
MGR Club Regular

Return to How To's