MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to flush your heater matrix...the easy way

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:36 pm

My heater is only warm on one side, so it must have a blockage in the matrix,
Thanks to Colvert for pointing this method out to me.
This is a job for a cold engine, not warm or hot

Before you start, you will need 4 6" nails and 4 good cable ties unless you have pipe clamps already, Also you will need access to a hose pipe to jet water into the system

WP_20160228_09_39_49_Pro.jpg

You will also need two packets or pipe connectors like these, I was unsure what width i needed, so i went for 19 mm, the fit was very tight but they worked, i would suggest an 18mm to make life a little easier lol

WP_20160228_10_14_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20160228_10_14_59_Pro.jpg

so what you need to do is clam the pipes as you are going to cut them,
i used this method to clamp as i never had proper pipe clamps, and it worked very well

Click here for home made clamp

Make sure your clamps give you enough room to place the pipe connectors later on. Clamp the two pipes.

Cut the pipes as in the picture, you are looking to open the flow of water to the matrix, which means stopping water leaving the engine and and entering the engine..

WP_20160228_10_20_38_Pro.jpg

Place your hose pipe on one of the open pipes and turn it on full, this hopefully should flush out any crud that is causing any heat in balance when you use the heater in your car, leave running for about 10 mins, then swap into the other pipe, ensure escaping water does not hit any electrics.
and leave it 10 mins again on full force from the tap.
Under no circumstances place and kind of detergent in the matrix while flushing
Ok, thats all you can do in this method,

WP_20160228_10_27_03_Pro.jpg

Remove the hose pipe, and push the open ends of the pipes you cut earlier onto the pipe connectors, dont for get to slip the jubilee clips over the pipes too, i used boiling water to make the pipes more pliable.
Its a squeeze but its better that having a leak afterwards, you can grease the pipe to make it go on easier too.

WP_20160228_11_10_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20160228_11_10_59_Pro.jpg

When you have placed both connectors in the pipes and used the jubilee clips to tighten up the pipes to the connectors, then and only then snip one cable tie on each clamp,

WP_20160228_11_11_07_Pro.jpg

turn engine on and warm car up, check fluid level and top up with OAT antifreeze if needed.
With any luck, heater should be working properly, if not, then its matrix out i'm afraid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Mick.---You didn't say !!!!!!

Does your heater work OK now ???????
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT

Unread postby COLVERT » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:42 pm

These hose clamps make the job easy and are useful when working on the brake hoses too.

Quite cheap to buy a pair too.

PS. 18 mm copper pipe does the job very well and is less fragile than plastic pipe.---( Will outlive the car. Lol, )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:40 pm

COLVERT wrote:[color=#FF0000]These hose clamps make the job easy and are useful when working on the brake hoses too.

Quite cheap to buy a pair too.

PS. 18 mm copper pipe does the job very well and is less fragile than plastic pipe.---( Will outlive the car. Lol, )

/color]

i nearly used copper pip too lol, yes wifeys feet are now toastie warm (mgrclub) (mgrclub) (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to How To's