MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to refurbish your head lamps

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 pm

A little while ago i bought a set of face lift projector head lamps, they were for selling on but were in a bit of a state on the lenses, they were all pitted and the look of them was quite frosty to look at, unclear to see the bulb as you can see in the picture below

CSC_0379.JPG

CSC_0382.JPG

CSC_0380.JPG

as you can see they are poor condition, This is because the lens is actuall plastic with coating on for protection, the coating has been damaged over the years. So the scary bit, you will be sanding them down (panic) (panic)
i recommend this be done out side the car, if you leave them on, mask it all up well.

so what you need is a sheet of 600 grit wet n dry, a sheet of 2000 grit wet n dry and ideally a sheet of 3000 grit wet n dry sand paper (which i couldnt get, but still came out great) & some good quality clear coat.

Start with the 600 grit paper, ensure the lens is well wet as is the paper, press on and rub in small circles, then finish off in length way rubs, when you re soak the lens, you will see where it needs more attention like this

CSC_0374.JPG

CSC_0373.JPG

When the finish is even all over, it will look like this.

CSC_0371.JPG

ok now you thinking oh F*** i have ruined them, (panic) (panic) (panic) (bang head against a wall)

DONT PANIC, we are not finished lol (mgrclub)

Now take the 2000 grit and do the same to the lens, ensuring it is soaked well all the time, i spent a good 20 mins on this part, especially as i only had 2000 grit. ok already when you resoak it you will strangely see it's becoming clearer, swirls then length ways, why length ways, it will help the clear coat not to run when applying it.

so here is how mine looked after 2000 grit,

CSC_0369.JPG

now, IF you have the 3000 or even 3500 grit would be even better, so follow the same procedure that you did with the other two sheets, when you have done that you will see it taking shape nicely, how ever, it's still not quite right...yet, If you feel the need to wipe it down with white spiring and s lint free cloth then do so and let it dry ;-)

so

so now its time to clear coat it, the knack to clear coat is light coats, DO NOT RUSH THIS STAGE, if you do, then you will ruin it, so spray about 15 inches away, steady swipes in line with the final sanding strokes, start with one light coat, let it dry, another light coat, same again, let it dry, after 3 coats it should look like this

CSC_0368.JPG

ok so the idea is to spray more light coats, if you used the 3000 or higher grit, this wont take as long, but eventually, if you take your time, it will end up like this
CSC_0366.JPG

mine didnt need buffing up with wax, how ever, if you wish to do so, then wait till the clear coat has set off fully, take your time, dont panic, and all will be well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to How To's