MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:39 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to change the Rod casting assembly-tie on a75 (Top Bush)

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:09 pm

Recently my car got lumpy under gears change and acceleration, i changed the lower Engine mount bush, (which was shot, with a powerflex one, That helped but there was still issues, on examining the Rod casting assembly-tie or as i call it, the top bush, see pic

1.jpg

The rubber was broken and there was a lot of movement in the engine, casing banging and jerking sensation while accelerating,

Now, This had to be changed, I took a chance with a used one from ebay and when it arrived it was very good.

There are 7 bolts in all, 5 x 15mm and one 8mm iirc.
See the pics below for the location of the bolts

2.jpg

3.jpg

When you undo the bolts, remember where they came from, They will need a long bar to crack them as they are on tight, also an angle and extension bar for the front bolt as its hard to get to.

The small bolt holds a clasp which secures the air con pipes, these need to be moved aside when getting to the Lower side bolt.

When all 7 bolts are off, the part is movable, but, you need to push the tie rod assembly out of the way and wiggle it down and side ways, it slips out nicely, the new one goes in the same way.
Be careful not to drop any of the bolts.

tighten all the bolts up and then place the air con clasp back on.

Takes about 20-30 mins, job done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm

That's on one of those old petrol engine ones isn't it ???

Does the engine have to be supported ??
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 pm

yes it's one of the old petrol engines lol, no, it doesnt need supporting at all
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to How To's