MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to replace the anti roll bar front drop links on 1.8 R75

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 am

On my MOT i had to replace the front drop links that connect to the anti roll bars. Here i will show you how to do this, This was done on a 1.8 75 although many models are similar in process

This job require basic tools, 14, 15, 17mm spanners/sockets [standard smileys/smiley-signs017 , WD40, pair of grips and a crow bar, wire brush if needed, Jack/stands etc for wheel removal and car support, angle grinder if needed.

I found the best quality and cheapest were from http://www.eurocarparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; £25 for the pair, yes you can get a pair from ebay for £12, but i researched these and not many are recommending them.

First job, saturate the nuts to be removed with WD40.

Choose which side that you are doing first, chock the rear tyres with a brick or something, turn the first wheel to be done front out wards, then jack the car and place axle stands under for support, then remove the wheel, place the wheel under the car and extra support to catch the car in case all else fails, i do this but if you don't wish to then that is your choice, I once had a stand give way, i was glad i had my wheel under the car, other wise i would have a crushed leg, can't be too careful i say!!

So now car is supported, wheel off and turned out wards, will look like the pic below

Ok, i found it easier to remove the lower part of the linkage first, this relieved the pressure of the roll bar which pull the whole thing down, So, the 15 mm spanner/socket goes over the nut, the 14mm goes on the other side of the roll bar hole, see pic below, the 14mm hold the thread in place to stop the 15mm spinning the whole thing while you try to undo the nut, other wise you will be there all day.

when this nut is undone, you will need then to pry the Anti roll bar down to release the drop link, you can wack it with a lump hammer but you will risk damaging the roll bar, see pics for more details, leaver the roll bar downwards to release the link

Do not dis guard the nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

So, now to the top nut, removal is the same method, I used an open ended ring spanner on the 15mm nut, and the 14mm as before to stop the whole thing from spinning and trust me when i say, you do not want to spend all day on this nut, The top nut is a pig to get to, you will probably only get a quarter turn each time, patients is the key......and a good cup of tea.

If you can move both spanners the this will make it a bit faster, The nuts are made so they are tight to move, this stops them coming loose while in use.

When this top nut is removed, do not dis guard the nut.

Now, it's time to place the new link on, you have a choice, Some people will use the new nut, i didn't and i will tell you why, The new nut is a 17mm one, the old is 15mm, I found that putting the 17 mm nut on reduced the space at the top of the link, it was hard enough with the 15mm nut let alone making the space to get the spanner in smaller with the 17mm.
I used the 15mm (old ones) nut,

The way to put the new one on is exactly the same as removal, but in reverse, dont forget to lever the roll bar down to put the lower bolt on, also if you find the lower link is now facing the wrong way, simply use the grips and twist the shaft so it faces the correct way

and you will end up with this

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither the MGROwners Club nor the original authors in this thread can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this thread's posts.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.
window Stickers now in stock, click here for details
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby slacko » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Good how to Mick
Even my dog is a Rover Rover 45 Connoisseur -Royal Blue 03
slacko

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:11 pm

slacko wrote:Good how to Mick

next one is how to replace the lower stabilizer bush (mgrclub) (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Return to How To's