MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:00 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

How to re-gas you air con

Unread postby slacko » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi, to fix your air con, first you'll need to purchase the correct gas and connection pipe with gauge. I found this one on ebay for £54 for a leak sealer & top up gas can + the connector pipe with the centre gauge, which works out pretty cheaper than buying separate parts.

This is a link to the kit i used

This is the kit I bought with the refill can still connected, as it's not empty & can be reused if the need arises, although now now the system is sealed, I'm hoping I don't have to use it for a long time. Unfortunately I threw the sealant can away before I was asked to do this how to, but it connects & is used the exact same way except you use it all. All the instructions come with the kit which is shown below.

First thing to do is locate the low pressure side of your unit, on the R45 it is here

First of all before connecting to the system, make sure the tap on the right hand side is fully open, then screw on the can of sealer if you have a minor leak (or you can just re-gas if preferred) but if you are losing gas it cheaper in the long run to use the sealer pack. When can is screwed in place tighten the tap fully down to pierce the can & leave it like that until the other end is fastened to the low pressure valve on your car. Once that is done, invert the can, open the tap to release contents of can into system. Keep a weather eye on the gauge at this point, as over filling the system is fatal if you have some gas left in the system, although on mine, which was completely empty the pressure only rose to 30psi on the gauge. Next, disconnect the low pressure valve end of tube & remove the sealer can taking care it's completely empty as its' icy cold contents can burn. Once this is done screw on the refill can, then screw down the tap again to pierce this can. Once it is tight down, re-connect the low pressure end of tube onto the valve & invert can, slowly opening the tap whilst watching the gauge very carefully. Once the correct pressure is obtained screw the tap down hard to reseal the can & leave in situe to be used at a later date if needed. The system holds between 48-52psi no more or damage can be caused. Please check your system requirements as I am not to be held responsible for any mistakes. Have fun.

(mgrclub) Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither the MGR Owners club nor the original authors in this thread can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this thread's posts.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.
Even my dog is a Rover Rover 45 Connoisseur -Royal Blue 03
slacko

Unread postby Liltony » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:47 am

I'm not sure this is the best thing to do to re-gas the air con. When a professionnal re-gas the air con, he take off the old gaz, get some tracer and also replace the PAG oil of the compressor to prevent compressor failure. And what about the gaz quantity which is different depending on the car
Liltony
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby slacko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:54 am

As the post says, check your system requirements. Unless you're having a complete system overhaul, the re-gas places do none of the things you mention. This post is only to seal the system & re-gas to required psi. nothing else.
slacko

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:03 pm

slacko wrote:As the post says, check your system requirements. Unless you're having a complete system overhaul, the re-gas places do none of the things you mention. This post is only to seal the system & re-gas to required psi. nothing else.

KwikFit simply chuck gas in and hope for the best, very handy how too Bill, well done
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby slacko » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:46 am

Mine's still ice cold. (mgrclub)
slacko

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:33 am

mine is still as cold as it was too (mgrclub) (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby rover54 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:04 pm

How to re-gas your air-con.

Step 1, Drive up to Blackpool and ask for Mick AKA Mr Cool.
T4 Map
How to get home if clutch hydraulics have failed
T4 meets

Rover 75 SE V6 Royal Blue, Rover 75 V6 Contemporary SE Firefrost ,Rover 75 SE Platinum Gold and the baby, 1.8NA Cimarron Green

rover54
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:38 pm

rover54 wrote:How to re-gas your air-con.

Step 1, Drive up to Blackpool and ask for Mick AKA Mr Cool.

(cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool)
(cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool) (cool)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby xanadu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:28 pm

great, he's got a big head again. I keep telling people not to be nice to BBM
xanadu

Unread postby Michael » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks for that top post well done. (mgrclub)
Michael

Return to How To's