MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

How To's

bonnet and boot opening guides

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 am

To get this information on the zt75 MGZT Rover 75 OC, you have to give them the vin number, shoe size and what you plan to have for your tea for the next 3 weeks, how ever, all this info is available from you tube and the internet with out any hassle, So i dont really see any issues in publishing this in our how too section, which is members only any way.

Bonnet opening guide

You don't need to cut anything or remove the wheel or wheel arch liner.
Turn the steering as far to the left as you can and reach inside the small inspection hatch at the top of the wheel arch liner.
Use a torch so you can see what you're doing.
You can push the neck of the washer bottle up and off to give yourself more room.
Unclip the cable junction box from the inner wing and pull it through the small hatch.
Tug on the shuttle inside the junction box (plastic thing that the three cable ends go into) to pull the two cables to the latches.
You shouldn't need pliers. One latch will probably pop open first then the other.

Boot opening guide

Saloon

Take the chrome trim from around the rear number plate.
In the top right clip hole.
Slip a long thin screw driver into the hole and move the end to the right of the car.
You will feel the end touch the locking rod.
Push against it.
If you have done it correctly, the boot will pop open

Tourer

Open the flap for the emergancy triangles from the inside of the car and find the red plastic pull. Pull this to manually open the Tourer tailgate from the inside.

Disclaimer, Some feel this information should not be available freely, how ever, all the information is source from the Internet any way.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Wullie480 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:41 am

Nice one mick.

I always knew how to get into these cars could never fathom out why it was such a secret.

In fact a few weeks ago had to access the bonnet on the sis in laws yaris as the cable had broke 2 min job.

To be honest if someone wanted into the car they would just break the window!
Made in Scotland from Girders ><

Cars: 2 x MG ZT CDTi's

MOT & Tax check https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

MG Rover build info: http://mg-rover.info/get_info.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Report potholes,lightening faults etc - http://www.fixmystreet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wullie480
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby nick nick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 am

I knew about Access to the boot but not the bonnet very useful .....The MGZT Rover 75 OC ..HA
Life is a bunch of roses but watch out for the pricks
nick nick

Unread postby Les4048 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks Mick, could never understand what all the secrecy was about as the people who steal cars probably know anyway
Les4048
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby AndrewG » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:28 am

Had I known this last year it would have saved me a bloody rear quarterlight. :?
When I asked for help I got nothing, :evil: and it would have been so easy to go in through the ski hatch and trigger a handle!! (clap)
Dog stepped on the central locking button when my keys were in ignition, and wifes keys were in her handbag in the car!!.
Spent 10mins trying to get the dog to walk across the bloody button again! [animal]
Good one for youve been framed!! :lol:
(mgrclub)
AndrewG
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 am

I never understood the secrecy either
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby GarDen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

(BOW) Thanks Mick.
When I had to do the bonnet release on Scouse's car I could not find the letter from God to get the info needed to do it.
As said, why the secrecy? Are battery covers really worth that much?

Gary
Sprocket Retaining Tool for the M47R Engine, Free to borrow for members to use. Just PM me.
GarDen
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Spyder » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Maybe for any new owners one can mention the tourer. IE open the flap for the emergancy triangles from the inside of the car and find the red plastic pull. Pull this to manually open the Tourer tailgate from the inside.

Very usefull when trying to remove pre-projects bits in the scrappy.
Busy with life.
Spyder
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Nigpercival » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Well done for putting this up. Can't understand the big secret and all the vin palava. Knew bonnet trick but now know boot one. Cheers
1999 ' T ' cdt saloon
Nigpercival
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby BIG LEK » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:08 pm

I could never understand what the big fuss was all about either (shrug) as if a thief is coming for your car they will already know exactly what to do before they get there (shrug) and posting this info up doesn't really matter to them as if they want a car that bad they will take it any way,
(I wish I could fly) membership no-265
BIG LEK
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Spyder wrote:Maybe for any new owners one can mention the tourer. IE open the flap for the emergancy triangles from the inside of the car and find the red plastic pull. Pull this to manually open the Tourer tailgate from the inside.

Very usefull when trying to remove pre-projects bits in the scrappy.

Will put it with the main section, thank-you mr spyder
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby LATHBURY » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Hello, I am a newbie on this forum and am very happy to find out how to open the bonnet from the wheelarch, in the how to it says use the inspection hole in the arch liner, is this the hatch that we use to change the bulbs or is there another one?. Many thanks, John. :?:
LATHBURY
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby BIG LEK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm

LATHBURY wrote:Hello, I am a newbie on this forum and am very happy to find out how to open the bonnet from the wheelarch, in the how to it says use the inspection hole in the arch liner, is this the hatch that we use to change the bulbs or is there another one?. Many thanks, John. :?:

Hi, john as far as I know the headlight inspection hole is the only one in the liner (shrug) ;)
BIG LEK
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby LATHBURY » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Big Lek, Many thanks for that speedy reply, I will try and see with a torch tomorrow how to do it so if i need to do it at the side of the road sometime I won't be struggling. John.
LATHBURY
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:17 pm

LATHBURY wrote:Hi Big Lek, Many thanks for that speedy reply, I will try and see with a torch tomorrow how to do it so if i need to do it at the side of the road sometime I won't be struggling. John.

Hi John. Yes, that is the one, the hatch where you would change the headlight bulb. ;)
Poppy

Unread postby LATHBURY » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Poppy, Many thanks for the info. John.
LATHBURY
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:06 pm

LATHBURY wrote:Hi Poppy, Many thanks for the info. John.

Hi John. My pleasure.... :)
Poppy

Unread postby rover54 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Will the boot release work on a facelift?

I cannot get into the boot via the rear seat as a whacking great LPG tank is in the way.
T4 Map
How to get home if clutch hydraulics have failed
T4 meets

Rover 75 SE V6 Royal Blue, Rover 75 V6 Contemporary SE Firefrost ,Rover 75 SE Platinum Gold and the baby, 1.8NA Cimarron Green

rover54
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 pm

rover54 wrote:Will the boot release work on a facelift?

I cannot get into the boot via the rear seat as a whacking great LPG tank is in the way.

Not 100% sure, but, I cannot see why it wouldn't? (shrug)
Poppy

Unread postby pab » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am

The severity of the issue still warrants a security check, or perhaps a pm to the Admin for the relevant information. I feel myself as do perhaps other owners that details of how to enter their cars are freely available on the Net.
pab
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby BIG LEK » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:02 am

pab wrote:The severity of the issue still warrants a security check, or perhaps a pm to the Admin for the relevant information. I feel myself as do perhaps other owners that details of how to enter their cars are freely available on the Net.

How do you know that the person asking is genuine or not though paul, any-one can get a vin number off any 75/zt claim to be genuine just to get the info they need (shrug)
BIG LEK
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby pab » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 am

BIG LEK wrote:
pab wrote:The severity of the issue still warrants a security check, or perhaps a pm to the Admin for the relevant information. I feel myself as do perhaps other owners that details of how to enter their cars are freely available on the Net.

How do you know that the person asking is genuine or not though paul, any-one can get a vin number off any 75/zt claim to be genuine just to get the info they need (shrug)

Totally agree, VIN and Registration numbers are easily available. But there's an element of risk publishing such information on a Public forum.

But hey, it's only my opinion. If you guys think it's fine, well..
pab
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby BIG LEK » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:50 am

Tbh Paul can you honestly see a thief taken the time to do this (shrug) they may or may not get in its certainly something that cant be done in a hurry if you haven't done it before (shrug) they would smash a window and pull the bonnet lever or drop the rear seat I would of thought, the info is only for genuine owners of these cars that don't want to break a window and have all the time in the world to try and get in (shrug)
BIG LEK
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby COLVERT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:45 pm

(oops) Read your post several times but still not sure if you are for or against the info here as it's freely available on the Net. (shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

Colvert. :?:
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT

Unread postby pab » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:15 pm

To be absolutely honest the details don't need to be published on here. The safer option would be to have the information made available to the member via a pm, perhaps without all the red tape and security questions that have traditionally surrounded the issue.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here. Just concerned about the security of the matter.
pab
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:51 pm

pab wrote:To be absolutely honest the details don't need to be published on here. The safer option would be to have the information made available to the member via a pm, perhaps without all the red tape and security questions that have traditionally surrounded the issue.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here. Just concerned about the security of the matter.

TBH it's a matter of opinion, if some one want's in your car, then they will get in, no matter what, if i hide this info, then make available via PM and don't ask security questions then whats the point in hiding it, This how too section a lot of you may not know, it actually not available for guests, you have to be a member of the club to get it, there for, would harry the spare Tyre thief actually bother to register on the off chance that there is some info on a forum that may or may not enable him to steal goods from a boot or not, All car thefts of this ilk are done by chancers, not premeditated, unless there is a specific reason some one is targeted, like a sales man with cash in the boot etc, then that's premeditated and with that in mind, the boot would simply be crow barred for speed of access.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Wullie480 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:13 pm

The info in accessing the bonnet is already available on the web all you need to do is google it been posted on honest johns website.
As for the boot opening anyone trying to break in via there will set of the alarm but so will smashing a window which is the quickest option.

To be honest car thieves or crooks already know this sort of information probably before we do.

As the how to area is out of public view I really don't see an issue.

MG Rover build info: http://mg-rover.info/get_info.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Report potholes,lightening faults etc - http://www.fixmystreet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wullie480
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby pab » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Wullie480 wrote:As the how to area is out of public view I really don't see an issue.
Perhaps my fault for highlighting the concern before I realised or was informed that the "How To" section could only be viewed by members of the forum.

I do apologise.
pab
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 pm

pab wrote:
Wullie480 wrote:As the how to area is out of public view I really don't see an issue.
Perhaps my fault for highlighting the concern before I realised or was informed that the "How To" section could only be viewed by members of the forum.

I do apologise.

lol, you weren't to know bud, we have a couple of sections that are hidden from none members
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby pab » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm still very new to this forum stuff.. ;)
pab
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:43 pm

so am i :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 pm

pab wrote:I'm still very new to this forum stuff.. ;)

To be absolutely honest though when you stop learning new things you are going to wake up and find you're dead. (oops) (clap) (clap) (clap)

Colvert. (BOW) (BOW) (BOW) (computer geek
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT

Unread postby Michael » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 am

Good info many thanks, I asked this question on the other place, could not believe the flack I got for asking such a question, so I did a search and got the answer, good this is now on the forum well done. (clap)
Michael

Unread postby SRC1968 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this site, so go easy on me!! I've had my '54' plate 75 CDT for about 5 years now. Awesome vehicle but probably has an underpowered 116bhp engine!!
Anyway, I have a mental problem which I hope someone can advise me on. My battery has 'died' and I needed to take it out. On pulling the bonnet release, I had the usual flop and everything was loose. This happened to me about 3 years ago and I eventually managed to do the standard fix for it. However, on dragging out the 'box' through the wheel arch inspection cavity, I have discovered that the cable that runs to the passenger side bonnet release has snapped!! I know because when I pulled on them both, I popped open the bonnet on the drivers side, whilst the other able just came out. I pulled it all out and the snap was there to see!! Now I have a car that I can't drive, due to the battery being flat or 'dead' and I can't change it as I can't get the flaming bonnet open!!! You couldn't make this up, could you??!! Add into the equation that I have been out of work for 6 months but start a new job on Monday and it is a nightmare!! Driving to the job would be about 20 mins but catching a train will cost a packet and take nearly an hour!!

If anyone has any pearls of wisdom that an help, I should be most grateful!!!!! (bang head against a wall) (bang head against a wall) (bang head against a wall) (bang head against a wall) (sensor) (sensor) (sensor) (sensor) (sensor)
SRC1968
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Hiya and welcome.. Oh Dear, I do not have a clue....... (shrug) I do hope that someone comes along shortly who maybe has an answer to this though... (panic) (mgrclub)
Poppy

Unread postby Wullie480 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 pm

That'll be a difficult one I'd think to fix.

I'll have a look at mine in the morning to see if there's any access from the bottom.

Wullie480
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:00 am

I will have a look Tomorrow too.... (shrug) (cheers) (mgrclub)
Poppy

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:47 pm

afraid iirc the only way to do it is cut slats off the grill and get in to it that way, are you in the AA, they may do it for you
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Poppy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Baconbuttyman wrote:afraid iirc the only way to do it is cut slats off the grill and get in to it that way, are you in the AA, they may do it for you

I think Mick is right,... (shrug) I cannot see any other way around it...... You could always mesh the grill afterwards like mine? (shrug)
Poppy

Unread postby Wullie480 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:13 pm

There's no access from underneath.

Think you'll need to cut the grille to gain access as already suggested.

Wullie480
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Poppy wrote:
Baconbuttyman wrote:afraid iirc the only way to do it is cut slats off the grill and get in to it that way, are you in the AA, they may do it for you

I think Mick is right,... (shrug) I cannot see any other way around it...... You could always mesh the grill afterwards like mine? (shrug)

yeah it's a good excuse to mesh the grill (clap) (clap)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Poppy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeahhhhhh..... (cool) (cool) (clap) (clap)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Poppy

Unread postby COLVERT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 pm

You ask for pearls of wisdom ??? Right-oh, you've come to the right place.

Charge your battery through the cigar lighter socket. Get a lighter socket plug and wire it onto your charger. The middle pin being POSITIVE. ( RED )

Colvert. (mgrclub) (mexican wave)
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT

Unread postby COLVERT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Baconbuttyman wrote:
Poppy wrote:

yeah it's a good excuse to mesh the grill (clap) (clap)

You BUTCHERS !!!!!!!

When all you need is a delicate touch and a bit of lateral thinking. (hehethwump) Take that. [ (kermit)
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT

Unread postby Poppy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Come on then.......What's the solution..... (shrug) (getmecoat) 8-)
Poppy

Unread postby Michael » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 am

This looks good ? (shrug) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Unread postby willyheckaslike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:09 pm

It's becoming quite a common problem as the cars age. :(

The solution is to wedge the driver's side of the bonnet open as far as you can without causing any damage, you then have a number of options to try. Using a bent screwdriver or something similar you might be able to move the spring latch back, I think that your car is a facelift version and if so then you won't have the next option which would be to try to remove the grill and undo the catch using a 10mm spanner. The ultimate option which many have had to resort to is to cut the latch pin with a hacksaw, sounds drastic but it can be done surprisingly quickly and with little or no damage if you are careful....it is cheaper than wrecking your grill. Get a replacement pin from a breaker beforehand. ;)
willyheckaslike
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:50 pm

willyheckaslike wrote:It's becoming quite a common problem as the cars age. :(

The solution is to wedge the driver's side of the bonnet open as far as you can without causing any damage, you then have a number of options to try. Using a bent screwdriver or something similar you might be able to move the spring latch back, I think that your car is a facelift version and if so then you won't have the next option which would be to try to remove the grill and undo the catch using a 10mm spanner. The ultimate option which many have had to resort to is to cut the latch pin with a hacksaw, sounds drastic but it can be done surprisingly quickly and with little or no damage if you are careful....it is cheaper than wrecking your grill. Get a replacement pin from a breaker beforehand. ;)

so you literally pull up the bonnet to jam something in there to give some work room??
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby COLVERT » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Baconbuttyman wrote:
willyheckaslike wrote:It's becoming quite a common problem as the cars age. :(

so you literally pull up the bonnet to jam something in there to give some work room??

Got it in one. (clap)
Live long and prosper.

COLVERT

Unread postby willyheckaslike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 pm

I would describe it as to CAREFULLY wedge the bonnet up on the driver's side using pieces of wood...but yeah, you get the basic idea. Lol. :lol:

If you go to a breaker for another latch pin I would check out the cable and the latch for it and buy the lot if they are ok.
willyheckaslike
MGR Club Regular

Next

Return to How To's