MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

MG Rover V8 section

HGF in the Mustang engine

All thing V8 here

Unread postby Frozen Fred » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Rather than believe the "experts" I have down some research into HGF on the Ford Mustang engine and it is more common than first thought of. In one case a Ford Mustang that had covered 135,000 miles had its head gasket changed 3 times.
Now no doubt this thread will open a whole lot comments, but it just proves that no engine is perfect.
A friend of mine has a MG F and has replaced the head gasket 5 times. I would have scrapped the car by now but each to there own.
Wear your poppy with pride all the year round not just in November.
Membership No. 431
Frozen Fred
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby COLVERT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm

In cases like this Fred I do very often doubt the skill of the mechanics (hehethwump) and their ability to come to the correct procedure when, ( or if ) they check things before they do the work. (shrug)

Colvert. (oops)
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT

Unread postby MrDoodles » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Frozen Fred wrote:Rather than believe the "experts" I have down some research into HGF on the Ford Mustang engine and it is more common than first thought of. In one case a Ford Mustang that had covered 135,000 miles had its head gasket changed 3 times.
Now no doubt this thread will open a whole lot comments, but it just proves that no engine is perfect.
A friend of mine has a MG F and has replaced the head gasket 5 times. I would have scrapped the car by now but each to there own.

As you're trying to sell one of these cars with said engine, is it wise bringing these failures to everyone's attention? :?: ;) :lol:

In my honest opinion the answer is yes.

Free vehicle valuations available to Club Members by PM!
MrDoodles
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm

No of course no engine is perfect............. So why is that peeps always pick on the Rover for HG failure... (shrug) my dad had an Astra from new in 94, covered 100k and had 3 HG failures, (shrug) 33k on average.... (shrug) :shock:
Poppy

Unread postby OhNoItsD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Fred, fred fred. How many mustangs are there in the world? Now compare it to rover HGfailures. Which one is more common eh. Stop worrying. ;)
In memory of Tam
OhNoItsD
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby willyheckaslike » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm not taking any chances: Binned my oat antifreeze yonks ago for the ordinary blue stuff after reading some worrying comments which accorded with my own observations of the destroyed rather than failed elastomeric beading on the sls headgasket for the k-series engine. Noticed that Jules started a thread about this on the MGZT Rover 75 OC recently too so not just my own experience.
willyheckaslike
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

WillyHeckaslike wrote:I'm not taking any chances: Binned my oat antifreeze yonks ago for the ordinary blue stuff after reading some worrying comments which accorded with my own observations of the destroyed rather than failed elastomeric beading on the sls headgasket for the k-series engine. Noticed that Jules started a thread about this on the MGZT Rover 75 OC recently too so not just my own experience.

Willy, I have the uprated MLS gasket..... (shrug) Is his the same?
Poppy

Unread postby Frozen Fred » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Well we took Blue Thunder for a 200 mile round trip today and the car runs even better that it did. The heater, not known to be very good, was bloody hot. The car never missed a beat we kept the speed to around 80 mph.
And we never visited any petrol stations, well not till tomorrow anyway.
I might just keep the car now that it has been fixed. (clap) (clap)
Membership No. 431
Frozen Fred
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby OhNoItsD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 pm

80mph. Pffft. That's just tickling it. You wanna try the 1.8 territory - standing still whilst everything else goes by. That'll test how hot and steamy it gets ;)
D waits for incoming.....
In memory of Tam
OhNoItsD
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 pm

OhNoItsD wrote:80mph. Pffft. That's just tickling it. You wanna try the 1.8 territory - standing still whilst everything else goes by. That'll test how hot and steamy it gets ;)

Hey Nothing wrong with the 1.8 you spanner monkey you.... (shrug) (mad) (hehethwump) (hehethwump) (i agree) (Punch)
Poppy

Unread postby Frozen Fred » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Poppy wrote:
OhNoItsD wrote:80mph. Pffft. That's just tickling it. You wanna try the 1.8 territory - standing still whilst everything else goes by. That'll test how hot and steamy it gets ;)

Hey Nothing wrong with the 1.8 you spanner monkey you.... (shrug) (mad) (hehethwump) (hehethwump) (i agree) (Punch)

Yea leave the K series alone. I have got a 1.8t, as well, she is as good as gold. (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)
Membership No. 431
Frozen Fred
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby trikey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 am

Can't comment on the 1.8 its the only engine I haven't had in a 75 yet!!!!
ZT 260 SE #45
trikey
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Poppy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am

trikey wrote:Can't comment on the 1.8 its the only engine I haven't had in a 75 yet!!!!

Well, it is a Rover.... (shrug) (getmecoat) Love mine.... 8-) (cool)
Poppy

Unread postby BIG LEK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 am

Frozen Fred wrote:
Poppy wrote:

Yea leave the K series alone. I have got a 1.8t, as well, she is as good as gold. (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)

As good as gold eh,thought it was more yellow myself mate :lol: :lol:
(I wish I could fly) membership no-265
BIG LEK
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby BIG LEK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

trikey wrote:Can't comment on the 1.8 its the only engine I haven't had in a 75 yet!!!!
LOL I like the way you've got the yet bit in lol,andy no doubt its only a matter of time before you have a 1.8 :lol: (shrug)
(I wish I could fly) membership no-265
BIG LEK
MGR Club Regular

Return to MG Rover V8 section