MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

Rover Forums

sterling 1999

Here you will find Rover model specific forums

Unread postby brickwallman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 am

My fast back sterling has a nasty habit of locking all the doors by itself. My garage says they cannot fix it unless they experience it themselves. I can usually unlock by the plip thing or the door catches but it is a bit unnerving? Any ideas?
brickwallman
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby COLVERT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Only, possibly, some wear or something loose in the body of the key itself.

Vibration makes and breaks the key internal contacts with the result being the doors all lock.--- (shrug)
Live long and prosper.

Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues ( Tact. ) will always win the war.
COLVERT
Moderator / Tech Adviser

Unread postby brickwallman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 pm

many thanks for your comments,sounds like getting a complete new key and attachment would be a good idea,only have one at the moment
brickwallman
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 am

have you tried resetting the key?? or changing the battery, my old passat use to lock and unlock the doors whille i was in it to indicate low battery level.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby brickwallman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 am

The plot is thickening a bit - I have discovered from the previous owner that the car has more or less always locked itself from time to time and the garage insisted on the owner buying a new set of keys as they were being locked out while servicing.
So it seems I must live with it.
I am trying to get the previous owner to find his set, failing that the local keys shop say they can supply a key either to just open the doors or to open and start the car.
Very peculiar!?
brickwallman
MGR Club Regular

Return to Rover Forums