MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

Rover Forums

Factory Data for Rover 45 (MG ZS)?

Here you will find Rover model specific forums

Unread postby Blue Club 45 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Hello collected experts!

When I had my ZR I popped onto another club site and looked up all the data for the car! Every thing apart from the name of the guy who drove it off the line!

I have repeatedly looked for the same information for my Rover 45!

It just says "Information not currently available!"

At first I thought it was being edited or something but that was 18 months ago and every time I look its the same!

Does anyone have any ideas where I (We) can get this information?

Build date etc!

My VIN is: SARRTZLFL4D 633028

Well heres hoping! :D

David.
Keep The Faith
Blue Club 45

Unread postby Mal7921 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 pm

I know the information was retrieved for most of the post BMW cars, but if it was a BMW era car much of that information is still not available as far as I'm aware.

What is the year of manufacture?
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby Blue Club 45 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi Mal,

Please forgive me if I'm teaching my Grandma to suck eggs!

This information goes back to my days at Volvo.

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) comprises a series of letters and numbers representing, in code, the World Make Identifier, Marque, Model, Class, Body, Engine, Transmission, Steering, Model Change, Assembly Plant and Serial Number applicable to each individual vehicle (effective from November 1998). This number should be quoted in full when communicating with your dealer. The VIN number can be found on the VIN plate, stamped into the top of right hand front suspension mounting (inside the engine compartment) and on a plate visible through the bottom left hand corner of the windscreen.

SAR RT C W C B Y D 100001
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd letters represent the World Make Identifier.

The 4th and 5th letters represent the Marque and Model,.

The 6th letter represents the Class of vehicle

The 7th letter represents the Body

The 8th letter represents the Engine

The 9th letter represents the Transmission/Steering

The 10th represents the Model Change

W = 1998 Model Year. X = 1999 Model Year. Y = 2000 Model Year. 1 = 2001 Model. Year2 = 2002 Model Year.

3 = 2003 Model Year. 4 = 2004 Model year. 5 = 2005 Model year. 6 = 2006 Model Year. 7 = 2007 Model Year.

The 11th letter represents the Assembly Plant eg:
D = Longbridge

The remaining digits are the vehicle serial number.

One of the Problems is that MG Rover didn't follow the ISO Rules completely! The Tenth letter was designed to show "Model" Year. They also didn't have "Model Years" which related to Chassis No's, or Modification introductions. At Volvo We coordinated changes (New engines Etc.) with the summer shut down! (July) So new "Model year" cars would be on sale August. Our 10th digit showed this!

My 10th digit is "4" which shows it as a model year 2004. The bad news is my ZR also had a "4" but was built 2003!

The "Facelift cars" were described as 2004 Models but there were loads of "2003 Models" built 2004!

How the poor Line foremen managed with "Drive Changes" which seem to be random god alone knows!

The guys doing my job (Homologation / Type approval) were all old men at thirty!
Keep The Faith
Blue Club 45

Unread postby Mal7921 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:00 pm

MG Rover were a little slack with the VIN numbers, I'm not 100% sure they used the same database for all cars manufactured as the site that holds the lookup for the cars does not have all the information, even though they licensed its use from an official source!

Also cars were sometimes made on projections of sale, so 04 cars could well have been sold on 03 plates if there was a rush on a certain model in the year.

God alone knows how they kept track of things in the factory, assuming they did at all.

If you look around the different sites dedicated to the different marques, you will hear all sorts of stories on factory management, it was probably at its best during the BMW years, followed by the Honda years, but before and after those years it was most likely ad-hock with different departments doing different things at different times, depending on who was in charge at that given moment.
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Unread postby slacko » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Blue Club 45 wrote:Hello collected experts!

When I had my ZR I popped onto another club site and looked up all the data for the car! Every thing apart from the name of the guy who drove it off the line!

I have repeatedly looked for the same information for my Rover 45!

It just says "Information not currently available!"

At first I thought it was being edited or something but that was 18 months ago and every time I look its the same!

Does anyone have any ideas where I (We) can get this information?

Build date etc!

My VIN is: SARRTZLFL4D 633028

Well heres hoping! :D

David.

All you need to know here mate:- http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--na ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, applies to R45 also. (cheers)
Even my dog is a Rover Rover 45 Connoisseur -Royal Blue 03
slacko

Return to Rover Forums