MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:57 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

Rover Forums

Just done one drop link

Here you will find Rover model specific forums

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Had a hour of daylight left when I got home, so I thought I would look at one of the anti roll bar drop links,
What a pig it is to get to the top nut, but I have figured out a great method, so a 'how to' in full colour is on its way when I do the other side tomorrow, hehe, but any way, one side is done. (mgrclub) (mgrclub) (mgrclub)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:07 pm

All done, one thing i found, the new drop link come with 17mm nuts, but on the first one i did yesterday, I found that when the nut on the top part was tightend up, it was very hard to get the spanner back on, cos the nut is bigger, it takes up the little room available, so i used the 15mm old nuts, you wouldnt think it makes much different, but it does, how to on its way
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Wullie480 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Changed a few and not the easiest thing to get at just need to take your time with it.
Made in Scotland from Girders ><

Cars: 2 x MG ZT CDTi's

MOT & Tax check https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

MG Rover build info: http://mg-rover.info/get_info.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Report potholes,lightening faults etc - http://www.fixmystreet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wullie480
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Tourerfogey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:30 pm

I also had problems removing the old drop links: the threaded section at the top is much longer than it needs to be and this makes using a ring spanner and then removing the ring spanner and nut impossible so on the replacements I shortened the threaded section slighlty as even after dong this it is still plenty long enough. I did this to make removal with a ring spanner possible the next time.

As it turned out it was a good job I did as the replacements lasted about 6 months before they were shot once again - a lesson not to buy after market drop links. The OEM spec links I subsequently fitted (also after shortening the threaded top slightly) have been fine.
It's a K Series . . . . keep topping it up . . . . it'll be fine . . . . . .
Tourerfogey

Unread postby ceedy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:24 am

I've found it easier to get a spanner on the top nut , then don't try to undo there , but to then turn the whole link to undo, leaving the nut stationary. the same for doing it up .

Easier if you do the top joint first. leaving the bottom joint connected , just stops it all flapping about ;-) .

Chris
Our Little Gang of Blues
ceedy
MGR Club Regular

Return to Rover Forums