MG Rover Owners Club (MGROC)

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am

Welcome Anonymous !

We cover all MG & Rover cars, We are the MG Owners Club & Rover Owners club, combined in one, from Rover 75 to MGZT, from Rover 800 to MGB, we are here for all your MG Rover MGR cars

MG-Rover OC General Discussion Forum

Last Chance of life for my 75

This section is for general MG Rover discussion

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:33 pm

past 8 months my car has been plagued with issues, december 17 saw a new clutch installed, head gasket done, then i had over heating issue in march, various sensors and stat inc housing later, now coolant loss, which indicated hgf again!!.
i cant put more money into it< i need a reliable car, so as a last ditch effort, put in some steel seal today in an effort to save the head, if it works then great, if not, then the car will be broken and scrapped. :-( :-(

So will see over next few days how its gone (fart)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Michael » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:50 am

Not Jenny :-o :-o :-o
Michael

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Yes Jenny. I got 1 bottle of steel seal. For 38 quid. Poured it in to the header tank. Took her for a spin and let her cool down after. Fingers crossed that it worked. That was Thursday.
Have been bleeding the system to ensure no airlocks! But up to now. No coolant loss at all!
No sludging of the system at all. Looks like a 40 quid bodge may have saved her from the scrapyard.
Will have to see over this week.
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby Michael » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Best wishes to you and Jenny, may you have some more milage together ;-)
Michael

Unread postby Tourerfogey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Sorry to hear that Mick. After 15+ years of ownership (from new) my old Tourer has also gone to the great Rover club in the sky. It dropped a valve which was then rammed into the cylinder head by the piston. Just wasn't worth spending the money to get it done and I really couldn't be bothered to tackle the job myself.

Roverless now for the fist time in 25 years - and frankly I guess that's the way it's going to stay (other than the Rover V8 engine in my Humber, that is . . . . .)
It's a K Series . . . . keep topping it up . . . . it'll be fine . . . . . .
Tourerfogey

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 pm

My car is currently running very hot according to diagnostics mode on the car, between 98 and 105, reached 115 at one point but i did take her for a wizz down the motorway to clear the system so to speak, but averaging 98 and 105, fan constantly on too, once it got down to 97 and cut out.
Dont think i am out of the woods yet?
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Tourerfogey wrote:Sorry to hear that Mick. After 15+ years of ownership (from new) my old Tourer has also gone to the great Rover club in the sky. It dropped a valve which was then rammed into the cylinder head by the piston. Just wasn't worth spending the money to get it done and I really couldn't be bothered to tackle the job myself.

Roverless now for the fist time in 25 years - and frankly I guess that's the way it's going to stay (other than the Rover V8 engine in my Humber, that is . . . . .)

sorry to hear that, i know there are people out there who say that all cars should be fixed, but finances do play a part (getmecoat) (getmecoat)
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby baconbuttyman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:24 pm

I am not giving up on this car, i have had no end of issues with it.
She is like a boiling kettle peeing water out every where.

Recent history of work done.
New clutch, new HG and all the gubbins with uprated parts, new timing belt and water pump, IMG etc changed when HG done last december.
cam sensor done, 02 sensor done, removed and cleaned tps.

I have replaced the IMG again incase it failed and used a gasket maker for surety.
I have replaced the rad cap for an original MGR new one.
I have rebled the system,
yesterday, took jenny out, no temp issues in past few days running at average 102 degrees, then today, wow, she shot right up to the red, pulled right over, waited 10 mins then opened the cap, expansion tank empty!!!!! FFS GRRRRRRR, so filled her up, was pouring out some where, as there was a puddle forming under the car, so what did i see? the damned bleed screw had come out!!!!!!! it was resting on the gear box. put it back in, topped up, nursed her home....again.
So bled her, topped it up, rebled her, took her for a spin, the heaters was blowing so hot my hand was burning, took her for a run and the temp was steady at 94 degrees, so looks like i have the mother of all air locks..

Today been out n about and lowest temp was 91, highest was 96, all pipes in engine bay were approx same temps, average running temp was 94 degrees
baconbuttyman
Club Owner/Admin

Unread postby MrDoodles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Which is of course, why I would never have a K Series 1.8, even as a gift! :cry:
MrDoodles
MGR Club Regular

Unread postby Mal7921 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:08 pm

What did they do on the last head gasket change? If the head had been skimmed once before and they skimmed it again, the headed will be too soft and you’ll just be waiting for another HGF very soon.

Also, did they know which gasket to use for a given situation? There’s more than one type depending on if the cylinder walls are level with the block or as they should be, slightly proud of the block. Again using the wrong gasket could cause issues further down the line
MG TF135
Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club
Mal7921
MGR Club Admin

Return to MG-Rover OC General Discussion Forum